Virudhunagar S .Vellaichamy Nadar Polytechnic College, Virudhunagar is a Government Aided Polytechnic College started in the year 1958. Baratha Ratna Shri K. Kamaraj,the Chief Minister of Madras State inaugurated the Polytechnic College on 21st of July 1958. The Institution is managed by Virudhunagar Hindu Nadar, Mahamai Tharappus (Trade Associations) and well – wishers. Kodaivallal Shri S .Vellaichamy Nadar, who came forward to donate munificent donations to establish this technical Institution. Located at the head quarter of Virudhunagar District and 48 KM off Madurai, the congenial and well - developed college campus spreads over a sprawling 64.26 acres of land. The Institution has granted Autonomous status from the year 1994. The Polytechnic College has excellent facilities, resources and well qualified and experienced faculty members.
Currently the polytechnic college offers eight Diploma programmes and seven programme have been accredited for 3 years by National Board of Accreditation with effect from 21-06-2010. ISO 9001:2008 certification adds another stone to the crown of the institution. The polytechnic college has over 119 well - qualified teaching staff and about 102 supporting staff. The combined student intake during current year is 770 and the total number of students on roll is 1856. Every student has to undergo in plant training compulsorily for 3 weeks during semester holidays. Reputed companies are invited for campus interview through placement cell. All the students who are opting for placement have been placed through the placement cell. Our polytechnic college Alumni has added glory to our institution by proving their worth in the chosen field.